Monday, August 18, 2008

Desire...

Yesterday at church our pastor spoke about the Tenth Commandment. Our church has been going through the 10 Commandments from Exodus 20 for most of the summer now. From the three times that we have been at church, it has been really great and really encouraging.

Commandment 10: You shall not covet (desire) your neighbor's house. You shall not covet (desire) your neighbor's wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.

Well, that seems pretty easy, right? I feel like we have the nicest house in the neighborhood, so that's not a problem! Actually, what is meant by the word 'house' is more than just a building or place where one lays their head. 'House' basically means, 'All that a man is. All he stands for.' I like that. To me, this 'ups the ante' just a little bit. I had to check my heart. And Taylor had to check hers. And then we checked are hearts together. This is such a wonderful thing to do with your bride. Examining your hearts to see if you desire more than you have or someone else's life / stuff.

Our pastor spoke about our Desire for Greatness, Desire for Pleasure and Desire for Riches. So I ask you, what are the things YOU desire?

C.S. Lewis said, 'What does not satisfy when we find it, is not what we really desired.' WoW! Does that hit home with you ... or just me?

I can go through a list of things that I have or that I have done and realize that they were not what I really desired.

There you go. Short and Sweet. Enjoy. Chew Slow.

No comments: