Monday, August 11, 2008

How different life would be...

I watched some of the Olympics last night. This is an unusual gig for me since I have not had television (meaning rabbit ears, cable, satelite or any sort of broadcasted picture on the screen) in 10 years. This is by choice. But that is not the point. I was at my in-laws house last night eating dinner and I was engulfed (that's the main reason why I do not have a television!) in the Olympics. And it was only the girls (gosh they are YOUNG!) gymnastics and swimming. We left before the US beat France in THE relay. Ugh... I am proud to be an American!

I was amazed to hear about the Training and Discipline that these people (young adults and mere children!) go through to ready their bodies for the Olympic Games. And it's not just for the past 6 months. More like the past 6 YEARS!!! Holy Crud! I mean, can you even imagine? Training, working out, eating right, disciplining your body like it's your slave for 15 hours of every day for the past 6 years. Maybe that is you. I know that it is not me. I feel disciplined. But not THAT disciplined! That's fo' sheezy... (that's kid talk meaning 'That's for sure'). I brought up a comparison to my lovely bride and mother-in-law --- can you imagine if we were that disciplined in our Walk with Jesus? Marriage? Our jobs? Life? How we love people? How we listen? What is that was how the world operated? I look at America as a very undisciplined society. Starting with me. I desire to work out. Daily. I do. Seriously. But to make that Desire a Reality takes a lot! A Whole Lot. I even have my work out schedule in my Palm Pilot phone! Prior to a 2 months ago, I was doing really good. I had been running twice a week for several months. Then camp season came. And I haven't run but one time. That's it. One Time. Disgusting. That's what that is...

Are you amazed at the Discipline of the Olympics athletes? Do you have Discipline in your life? 'Oh yeah Johnny ... I am disciplined in eating! I never miss a meal!' I am challenged to be more Disciplined.

Maybe I need a personal coach. I was up at Ellison High School this morning at 7:30 for the first day of 2-A-Days. There were a couple hundred kids out there. Being led / trained by coaches. They have to run. They have to catch. Because they are told to. Yep, that's it, I need me a coach!

School is starting up in just 2 weeks. Hard to believe that it's that time of year again...

Please pray for Young Life in Central Texas: Kids. Leaders. Committee. Staff. More Kids! More Leaders! More Committee! More Staff!

Because High School Kids Are Worth It...

No comments: