Monday, September 15, 2008

Baffling...

I am amazed by Mother Nature. I am! Seriously. That woman is ONE POWERFUL LADY!!! I have always been intrigued with 'things' bigger than me. I remember growing up and being fascinated with those big tractors that move lots and lots of dirt. We always called them Big Mama's and Big Daddy's. After growing up a bit, I have come to assume that that probably is not their 'official' names. Tractors are one thing. Ike is another. Ike amazed me. People always amaze me. We all are God's Children. Some just don't act like it.

Taylor and I went to Denton on Friday evening. We went home for a really wonderful occasion. My niece Taylor Paige, not to be confused with my wife Taylor Marie, got saved this past summer at church and she got baptized on Saturday evening at Fellowship Church. Such an incredible and very special event! I told Wayne, Taylor's dad and my oldest brother, how special Taylor's decision to follow Jesus and get baptized was. Taylor coming to Faith has really started a Brand New Legacy in our family. Jesus became 'real' to me a year after I went off to college (October 1996 to be exact). By 'real' I mean, I wasn't just going to church, but rather understood who Jesus was / is and what he had done for me. And then Jesus began to work on my family. And they came to Faith. So, for most of my family, we came to know Jesus as adults (I use that term loosely!). Taylor is the first Russell in our immediate family to trust Christ at an early age. So wonderful!!!

I was reading in John 4 (that is what the sermon was about on Saturday evening) after Taylor and I got home really late on Saturday night. I was baffled by one verse and would love to share it with you. John 4:50b which says, 'The man took Jesus AT HIS WORD and departed.' I stopped and thought about how unusual that is these days. Especially during this political race. Do you take people at their WORD? Do you remember the days when someone's WORD meant something? It was as good as in writing. There was no need to write it down. To have proof. No Notary Needed! 'He' would do it because HE SAID HE WOULD! This Royal Official's son was healed by Jesus. His son wasn't even present! He was back at the house! But this Royal Official took Jesus AT HIS WORD! Do you take people at their Word? Have you been let down, back stabbed, 'pooped on,' so many times that you don't do this anymore? Please don't rope Jesus into that category. He doesn't belong there! He Doesn't... He IS a man who can be taken at his Word. Do you take Jesus at his Word? Do you even know what his Word is?

The journey continues. I will be out of pocket a couple days this week and won't be able to write any words. I will pick up upon my return.

Please pray for this evening. We are having our Young Life Kick Off tonight at 7:59 at Lion's Park in Killeen. This is our 7th Annual Crud War! What is a Crud War you ask... Well, it consists of 4 phases: 1200 water balloons. 150 pounds of flour. Mystery Mush (which is dog food soaked in water for 36 hours ... shhhhhh, I didn't tell you that!). Shaving Cream. After the event...which takes about 3 1/2 minutes (maybe a little longer than that) , the kids gets squirted off by the Killeen Fire Department. Such a cool deal! Please pray for safety, fun, lots of kids, laughter and a desire to know more about Young Life and ultimately Jesus! Our desire is for teenagers today to take Jesus At His Word...

Because High Schoolers Are WAY Worth It...

No comments: